Chole palak is a spicy combination of spinach sauce and chickpeas. It can be served with brown rice and lentils on the side.
Chole Palak is a traditional Indian curry meal made with chickpeas and greens. Curry powder and turmeric are known in Indian medicine to have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and cancer-reventative qualities – benefits and healing properties that we’are only just starting to learn. When we add these spices to meals on an ongoing basis, we increase our body’s ability to fight ailments. Indeed, several studies have been conducted to determine whether these spices prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Whatever their particular medicinal qualities, curry and turmeric provide spice and energy for our chi.
This fourty minute meal is dlicious, nutritious and healing.
- 1 cup White Chickpea
- 1 cup Spinach puree
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida
- 2 medium size chopped onions
- 1 tbsp ginger-green chille paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 cup Curd
- 2 tsp Chole masala powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- 4 tbsp clarified butter
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 Cinamon stick
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- 4 Black Pepper
- 1 Bay leaf
- 2 green Cardamom
- Coriander leaves
- Soak chickpea (kabuli chana) with all Whole Spices all night.
- Boil chickpea in same water adding salt as per taste. If using Pressure cooker, cook on Medium flame for 3 whistles and another 5 min on Slow Flame.
- Trim the stems and wash the spinach thoroughly under running water. Drain well in a colander..
- Place a non stick pan on medium heat and pour in 1 cups water and salt, bring it to boil. Add the spinach and blanch in the salted boiling water for 2 minutes. Refresh under running water. Drain well in a colande.
- Place the spinach in a blender jar, and grind to a fine paste.
- Heat the oil and ghee (clarified butter) in a pan and add cumin seed, when the seeds crackle add asafoetida (hing) and add the chopped onions. Fry for 5 min.
- Add ginger green chilli paste and fry for 4-5 min.
- Add Turmeric powder, Red Chilli powder, Coriander and Cumin powder, Chole masala, Garam masala and mix well..
- Saute this mixture until oil separates (add some water in between if gravy is too dry, to prevent masalas from burning).
- Add beaten Curd after, Stir and roast the masala till it is grainy and till oil separates.
- Add the spinach puree and boiled chickpeas (kabuli chana) and Stir. Adjust salt as per your taste. Cover and cook for 8 minutes on medium flame.
- Now prepare tempering (tadka) : Place tadka pan on medium heat and add ghee, add chana masala powder.
- Immediately pour tadka over the gravy and mix well..
- Serve hot with roti or paratha or naan or rice.
- Category: Curry
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 472
- Sugar: 8.97
- Sodium: 707
- Fat: 26.31
- Saturated Fat: 9.39
- Carbohydrates: 43.12
- Fiber: 7.9
- Protein: 18.61
- Cholesterol: 0.31
Keywords: chana palak chole palak recipe, CholePalak, ChanaPalak, VeggieRecipeHouse, VegRecipesIndia, PalakChole, IndianRecipes, Sabzi, Spinach, Chick, Pea, Curry