by Arpit, Published: February 12, 2014
In india One pot meal means Khichadi or Biryani. So let us cook masala vegetable khichadi. This recipe is very simple.
Usually I recieve lots of request from Bachelor staying away from home or out of India for easy and quick one pot meal recipes. We realize value of our Indian food when we go out of our country. And the first cook any beginner learn to cook will be a dal (lentil soup) with a simple tadka. The next step to learn for beginner is to learn Khichadi.
So lets cook Vegetable Masala Khichadi in our kitchen today.
Yield: Serves 4
1/4 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped french beans
1/4 cup green peas
2 cups rice , soaked
1 cup moong dal , soaked
2 tbsp oil
a pinch asafoetida
1 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 green chillies
1 tbsp chopped ginger
7-8 curry leaves
1 medium onion , sliced
1 medium tomato , roughly chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
salt , to taste (नमक)
a fresh coriander string , to garnish
2. Add onion and mix well. Add tomatoes, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
3. Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and saute for a minute.
4. Add carrots, beans and green peas. Mix well.
5. Add dal and rice. Mix well and add 5-6 cups water. Stir to mix, cover and pressure cook for 15 minutes.
6. Open the lid, add 2-3 cups water, mash a little and mix well. Adjust salt.
7. Serve hot garnished with coriander spring.