This Dal fry recipe is not traditional but it’s my version of Dal Fry. I tweaked little bit of masalas and a little bit of cooking procedure to cook this Dal fry.
Other Daal Recipes to inspire you:
Dal fry is a delicious Indian Dal recipe which is very popular in Restaurants and this is made with tur dal (pigeon pea lentils), onions, tomatoes and spices.
- 1/4 cup split pigeon pea / arhar dal (अरहर दाल / तुवर दाल)
- 1/4 cup split yellow mung dal (मुंग दाल)
- 1/4 cup red masoor dal (मसुर दाल)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (हल्दी पावडर)
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder (लाल मीर्च पावडर)
- 1 tbsp cumin powder (जीरा पावडर)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala (गरम मसाला)
- 2 slited green chillies (हरी मीर्च)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste (अदरक लेहसुन की पेस्ट)
- 2 tbsp oil (तेल)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions (प्याज)
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (टमाटर)
- 1 whole dry red chilli (सुखी लाल मीर्च)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (राय)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 1 tsp crushed kasoori methi (कसुरी मेथी)
- salt , to taste (नमक)
- fresh coriander for garnishing (धनीया)
- Wash the dals together.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups of water, dals and turmeric. Mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and keep aside.
How to proceed
- Heat the oil or ghee (clarified butter) if you like in a kadhai, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dry red chilli, saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
- Add the onions and saute on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, till the onions turn translucent. Once onions turn translucent add ginger garlic paste, kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and saute until ginger garlic paste doesn’t smell raw.
- Add the tomatoes and a little water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add the prepared cooked dal, 1/4 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. (Dal tastes better if you allow it to cook some more time.)
- Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
- Category: Daals
- Method: Pressure Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: dal fry recipe, daal fry recipe