by Arpit, Published: February 04, 2014
This Dal fry recipe is not traditional but it’s my version of Dal Fry. I tweeked little bit of masalas and a little bit of cooking procedure to cook this Dal fry.
Yield: Serves 4
1/4 cup split pigeon pea / arhar dal (अरहर दाल / तुवर दाल)
1/4 cup split yellow mung dal (मुंग दाल)
1/4 cup red masoor dal (मसुर दाल)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (हल्दी पावडर)
1 tbsp red chilli powder (लाल मीर्च पावडर)
1 tbsp cumin powder (जीरा पावडर)
1/4 tsp garam masala (गरम मसाला)
2 slited green chillies (हरी मीर्च)
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste (अदरक लेहसुन की पेस्ट)
2 tbsp oil (तेल)
1/2 cup chopped onions (प्याज)
1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (टमाटर)
1 whole dry red chilli (सुखी लाल मीर्च)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (राय)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (जीरा)
1 tsp crushed kasoori methi (कसुरी मेथी)
salt , to taste (नमक)
fresh coriander for garnishing (धनीया)
2. Combine 2 1/2 cups of water, dals and turmeric. Mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
3. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and keep aside.
How to proceed
1. Heat the oil or ghee (clarified butter) if you like in a kadhai, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and dry red chilli, saute on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the onions and saute on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, till the onions turn translucent. Once onions turn translucent add ginger garlic paste, kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and saute until ginger garlic paste doesn’t smell raw.
3. Add the tomatoes and a little water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
4. Add the prepared cooked dal, 1/4 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. (Dal tastes better if you allow it to cook some more time.)
5. Serve immediately garnished with coriander.