Being a Gujarati, I should know what all basic ingredients will be used to prepare this simple yet delicious Dal. I learn this dal from My Grandma and continuing her magical recipe in my Kitchen till today.
1.The longer this dal is simmered, the better it tastes.
- 2 cups toovar arhar dal
- 1 cup chopped yam suran
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 2 dry dates kharek (optional)
- 8 pcs kokum soaked
- 1 tomato chopped
- 50 gms jaggery gur
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 pc grated ginger
- 4 green chillies slit
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder haldi
For the tempering (tadka)
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds rai / sarson
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds jeera
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek methi leaves
- 10 to 12 curry leaves kadi patta
- 2 cloves laung / lavang
- 2 sticks cinnamon dalchini
- 1 bayleaf tejpatta
- 2 small round red chillies boriya mirchi
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida hing
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt to taste
For the garnish
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander dhania
- Wash and pressure cook the dal in 4 cups of water.
- In another vessel, pressure cook the yam, peanuts and kharekh.
- When the dal is cooked, cool slightly and blend till it is smooth.
- Prepare the tempering by heating the ghee and oil and adding the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, red chillies and asafoetida.
- Add 3 cups of water, the cocum, tomato, jaggery, lemon juice, ginger, green chilli, chilli powder and turmeric powder and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the dal, yam pieces, peanuts, kharekh and salt and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Leave a Reply