One of the most popular raitas in both North and South India is Mung, Tomato and Onion Raita also called Mung Tomato raita combines the tangy taste of tomatoes with the Crunchy Mung and Sharp Onions, to make a fabulous raita. Each ingredient used in the Mung Tomato Onion raita is simply basic and consists of Mung, Tomatoes, Onions, Green Chillies, Jeera and Whisked Curds.
What is a Raita?
A raita is basically curds that have been whisked and flavoured with some spices or vegetables. In this case we have used Mung, Onions and Tomatoes in making Mung Tomato Onion raita.
This is a super quick and delicious tomato onion raita to make! When you are in the mood to eat raita, Mung Tomato Onion raita is the quickest and easiest raita to make in 10 minutes.
A dash of sugar, some green chillies and a garnish of coriander go a long way in making this Mung Tomato Onion raita totally irresistible.
Why Mung Tomato Onion Raita is Healthy?
- This Raita is made from curds which help in weight reduction, good for your heart and build immunity.
- Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in vitamin C, good for heart. Tomatoes are a Pregnant women’s friend and are rich in Folate or Folic Acid which helps your body to produce and maintain new cells, especially red blood cells.
- Mung Beans are great source of Protein.
Mung Tomato Onion Raita Serving Suggestions:
While it can be had at room temperature, the tomato onion raita tastes best when served chilled because refrigeration enhances the juiciness of the tomatoes and the creaminess of the curds.
Enjoy this flavoursome Mung tomato onion raita with your favourite pulao, paratha or khichdi.
Variations of Mung Tomato Onion Raita:
- You may want to try adding some Mint and Spinach to this Raita.
- The South Indian variant includes a tempering of mustard seeds and red chillies, for a bit more spice!
Goes Well with:
Learn to make Mung Tomato Onion raita recipe | Mung Onion Tomato Raita | Mung Pyaz Tamatar ka raita | Healthy Mung, Onion Tomato Raita | with detailed step by step recipe photos and video below.Print
For Mung Tomato Onion Raita
- 1/2 cup soaked Mung Beans
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 2 cups whisked curds (dahi)
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
For tomato onion raita
- To make Mung Tomato Onion Raita, Mung beans, combine tomatoes, carrots, onions and green chillies in a deep bowl and mix well.
- Add the curds, sugar, salt and coriander and mix well.
- Refrigerate the Mung Tomato Onion Raita for at least 1 hour and serve chilled.
- If the consistency of Raita is too thick, you can make it thin by adding some Milk