Bharela Bhinda literally means stuffed okra dish that is fingerlicking tasty curry, the Gujarati style. “Bhinda” in Gujarati is okra and “bharela” means filled in or we say it Stuffed.
Okra or ladies finger, fondly called in other regions, is a green veg that is gooey when sliced. Its unique hexagonal cross section and tender flesh induces interest in us to try and taste this tropical veg.
I recently shifted to Germany and here in Germany Bhinda (Okra) is available very easily. So I get a chance to innovate with Bhinda a lot and Bharela Bhinda recipe is a my mother’s recipe. This is simple and easy variation of Bharela Bhinda.
When we google Gujarati Style Bharela Bhinda, we get recipes that involves Besan (Gram flour) and Peanuts mixture. This is prepared in eastern and central part of Gujarat. However, Western part of Gujarat eats more spicy food and the recipe is influenced from Kathiyawadi culture. So off course spice level is little bit high.
Other Gujarati Recipes you might likePrint
Bharela Bhinda is a preparation of Bhinda (Okra) stuffed with Garlic Chutney and other dry spices. Crispy and Spicy texture of this curry makes it satisfying when paired with Fulka Roti or Chapati.
- 250 grams Okra (Bhindi)
- 2 TBSP Dhaniya/Coriander Powder
- 0.5 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
- Salt as per your taste
- 1/2 cups Fresh coriander leaves
- 4 large Garlic Cloves
- 4 tbsp Oil
- Cut the top head and the bottom tail of the Okra/Bhindi.
- Slit the okra/bhindi in between
- Take a Dish/Mixing bowl and add Coriander, Cumin, Red Chilli, Turmeric powder along with Fresh coriander leaves and 1 tbsp oil, mix all ingredients well
- Fill the mixed spices in between the slit okra/bhindi, leave some of the mixed spice for later
- Pre-Heat a Kadai/wok
- Add remaining 3 tbsp of oil
- Add chopped Garlic and saute them until light brown (it should not burn)
- Add the okra/bhindi and give it a good mix so the oil coats each Okra/Bhindi well
- Let it cook for 5-6 mins (do not add water or cover the lid)
- Give it a good mix and sprinkle left-over spices over it and give it a good mix.
- Cook it again for 4-5mins
- Check if the Okra/Bhindi is done, garnish with coriander and give it a final stir to serve it hot.
- Category: Curry
- Method: Stir-Fried Recipe
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 156 kcal
- Sugar: 1.83 g
- Sodium: 1752 mg
- Fat: 13.96 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.181 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.914 g
- Trans Fat: 0.073 g
- Carbohydrates: 7.79 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 1.73 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Bharela Bhinda, Bhareli Bhindi, Stuffed Okra, Bhinda Sambhariya, Stuffed Lady’s finger, Gujarati Bhindi
Step by Step Gujarati Bharela Bhinda recipe with Images:
1. Cut the top head and the bottom tail of the Okra/Bhindi and divide them into half if Bhindis are too long. Finally slit the Okra (Bhinda) in from between ensuring its not completely cut into half.
2. Take a Dish/Mixing bowl and add Coriander, Cumin, Red Chilli, Turmeric powder along with Fresh coriander leaves and 1 tbsp oil, mix all ingredients well
3. Fill the mixed spices in between the slit okra/bhindi. Don’t overstuff bhindi, and ensure that we leave some of the mixed spice for later. This will help in enhancing the test.
4. Pre-Heat a Kadai or a wok. Add remaining 3 tbsp of oil (Bhinda curry will usually demand more oil, so add more oil if required). Add chopped Garlic and saute them until light brown (it should not burn).
5. Add the okra/bhindi and give it a good mix so the oil coats each Okra/Bhindi well.
6. Let it cook for 5-6 mins (do not add water or cover the lid). Ensure you stir the Bhinda very minimal. Stirring more will break it and also Bhinda will release more sticky gum like texture.
7. Give it a good mix and sprinkle left-over spices over it and give it a good mix. Cook it again for 4-5 mins.
8. Check if the Okra/Bhindi is done, garnish with coriander and give it a final stir to serve it hot with Fulka Roti or Chapati.