Rasmalai (Paneer cheese cake in thickened milk) recipe – Whenever we have guests, Rasmalai is one dessert they will always love to have it. In Gujarat they say this as “Ras Madhuri” or “Angoor Rabadi”. In case of Ras Madhuri or Angoor Rabdi, we should form small balls instead of patty which we made in this recipe.
Whatever they tell, but at the end of the day this dessert is my all time favourite and I simply go mad when Ras Malai is served on my table.
Yield: Serves 4
250 grams crumbled cottage cheese /paneer (पनीर)
200 grams sugar (चीनी)
1 litre milk (दुध)
15-20 strands saffron /kesar (केसर)
15-16 cashews (काजु)
1 tbsp chronji /chironji/charoli
4-5 small cardamom (ईलाय्ची)
1. Grind Paneer in a mixer or alternately if you have time and energy mash with hands to make it smooth like a dough. (We call this as “Chenna”)
2. Take a small portion of the chena, keep it between your palms and press it with hands to give it a round flat shape (sort of a small pattice in burger).
3. Make more such flat discs from chena in the same way and keep them on a plate. You will be able to make 12-14 patty/cake from 250 gms chena.
4. Take a pan (pan should be large enough in its diameter to acoomodate patty for poaching in a single layer.) and put 100 gms sugar along with 500 gms of water into it.
5. Keep the pan on a high flame to boil the mixture. Put all the patty made with chena into the pan once the water boils completely.
6. Cook it for 18-20 minutes Keep the flame medium while cooking the rasmalai. The rasmalai will increase in size while boiling into the water.
7. The rasmalai balls are ready. Let it cool.
1. Keep the milk pan over the stove and stir it continuously once it starts to boil.
2. Put kesar and dryfruits into the milk. Turn off the flame once the milk reduces to half or 60% of its quantity.
3. Mix sugar and cardamom to it. Milk to dip rasmalai is ready.
1. Take out the rasmalai from the sugar syrup, press it with hands to strain the water and put these balls into the milk.
2. Rasmalai is ready.
3. Take it out in a serving bowl and garnish with pistachios and cashews.
4. Serve Chilled as a dessert.