Sharing a recipe of Mung Sprouts curry (matki) which I often make as a side dish to go with Chapatis. The recipe is a quick and no frills regular home kitchen recipe. This curry has a thin gravy or ‘tari’ as we call in Hindi. You can likewise make the sabzi dry to suite your mood.
Are mung sprouts curry good for you?
Sprouted green gram, also known as mung beans or moong, is a rich source of fibre and is fat-free. Due to high fibre content, they are filling and extremely healthy. Some of the sprouted green gram benefits include improving eyesight, enhancing bone and heart health as well as enhancing the immune system.
Mung sprouts are very easy to digest, so they’re a perfect post-illness food. Mung beans are a safe bet for diabetics because they have a low glycemic load and help to regulate blood sugar.
This Mung Sprouts curry, is cooked with a very little oil and basic ingredients available in Indian kitchen, so they are a dieter’s dream because they are low in calories and high in fiber. This curry is best suitable either in Dinner or Breakfast.
Can we eat raw mung bean sprouts?
Yes off course. Mix some Mung Sprouts with salt, pepper, tomatoes, cucumber and fresh coriander leaves to make a refreshing salad.
Another salad idea is to mix Mung sprouts with some walnuts and chopped apples with some salt.
Mung sprouts goes well with Fresh grated coconuts, black pepper, salt and lemon. This is one of my favourite salad dish.
However, Pregnant women should avoid eating raw mung bean sprouts, as they may carry bacteria that could cause an infection.
Some other Recipes you might like:
Mung Sprouts Curry Recipe, How To Make Moong Sprouts Curry | Moong Sprouts Recipe
- 1 cup Mung Sprouts
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida hing - optional
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt as per taste
- water to sprinkle
- Rinse 1 cup mung sprouts in water for a couple of times.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and crackle 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
- Then add 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing), 1/2 tsp turmeric powder and mung sprouts. Sprinkle little water and mix well for 30 secs.
- Add salt, give it a stir, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Open the lid, add 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and stir for 1 more minute.
- Finally garnish mung sprouts curry with 3 tbsp chopped corieander leaves.
- Serve hot with chapatis.
How to Make Mung Sprouts Curry recipe – Step by Step with Photos.
1. For the recipe of Mung Sprouts curry, off course you need Mung sprouts. Best way to sprout mung beans is two step process. On day 1, you should soak the mung beans for 1 night. Next day morning drain out water completely then put mung beans in a muslin cloth and make a potli. Drain and rinse this potli every 12 hours until sprouts reach your desired length.
2. For Mung Sprouts curry recipe, rinse 1 cup mung in water for a couple of times ensuring you are not breaking the sprounts. Be gentle with mung sprouts.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, once the oil is hot add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and 1/2 tsp mustard seeds.
4. Once cumin seeds and mustard seeds crackles add Asafoetida (Hing) and Turmeric powder followed by Mung Sprouts.
5. Sprinkle little water and mix well for 30 secs. Add salt, give it a stir, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
6. Open the lid, add 1 tsp red chilli powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and stir for 1 more minute.
7. Finally garnish mung sprouts curry with 3 tbsp chopped corieander leaves.
7. Serve hot with Chapati.