Guvar Batata nu Shaak | Gawar phali aloo ki sabzi recipe | gavar aloo ki sabzi | cluster beans and potatoes Indian vegetable | dry Gawar phali sabzi | healthy Gawar phali sabzi | with 15 amazing pictures.
About Gawar Phali Aloo ki Sabzi:
Gawar phali Aloo ki sabzi is a lip-smacking semi-dry curry that goes well with phulkas fresh off the Griddle (Tava)!
This recipe of Gawar phali Aloo ki sabzi is basically from Gujarati Kitchen. My wife have been making this gawar phali aloo ki sabzi for quite some years now, after learning it from her mom. We make this curry as a side dish to go with chapatis or a dal-rice combo. This Gujarati variant of Gawar phali aloo ki sabzi is high on Spicymeter. If you are not a fan of spicy curry, you can skip Gujarati Garlic Chutney or add it in lesser quantity.
Gawar phali aloo ki sabzi is Very simple recipe and can be prepared with minimum of ingredients that are easily available in each and every Indian household. Only time taking part will be chopping the cluster beans. Once the chopping is done, the rest of the method is easy. The gawar phali aloo ki sabzi can also be packed in tiffin box with some rotis/chapatis.
Health benefits of Gawar phali aloo ki sabzi :
The benefits of fibre-rich cluster beans are enhanced by the introduction of flavour-imparting garlic, which also keeps blood sugar and cholesterol levels under control.
Gawar phali is one of the vegetables that provide high amounts of fiber. This sabzi lends 4.1 g of fiber per serving which is 16% of your day’s requirement. Fiber has many key roles to play in our body. The most common one is to keep us free of constipation by helping in easy bowel movements. Fiber helps maintain normal blood circulation too. It helps to prevent clots in the arteries, which carry blood to the heart, and thus prevents heart disease. Good healthy heart sabzi and low cholesterol sabzi.
What is the best way to cook cluster beans (Gawar Phali)?
There are many recipes of Gawar Phali. But based on my experience, Gawar phali sauted either with Garlic or Ajwain (Carrom seeds) tastes well.
Unlike other beans, cluster beans take more time to cook. Hence, when cooking in pan it takes approximately 8-10 mins on medium flame for cluster beans to completely cooked.
Other Recipes you might like:
- Gujarati Garlic Chutney Recipe
- Gawar chi Bhaji (Maharashtrian style cluster bean curry)
- Gujarati style Chawli ki Sabzi recipe
Gawar Phali Aloo ki Sabzi recipe (Cluster beans and Potato curry recipe)
- 1 cup Cluster beans gavarfali, cut into 25 mm. Pieces
- 2 medium potatoes cut into large cubes
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Gujarati Garlic Chutney
- 6 small garlic pods use 2 if garlic pods are big
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1/2 cup water
Pressure Cooker Method:
- To make gavarfali aloo ki sabji, heat the oil in pressure cooker or any non-stick pan and add chopped garlic pods.
- When garlic turn light brown, add cluster beans, potato cubes and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder, Red Chilli Powder and Turmeric powder and mix well.
- After a minute add tomatoes followed by salt and saute for 2-3 minutes more.
- Now add Gujarati Garlic Chutney and 1/2 cup water or until water just covers potatoes and gavarfali.
- Pressure cook on high for 1 or 2 whistles and switch of the flame.
- Garnish with Fresh coriander leaves (Optional step).
- Serve with Roti or Rice.
- In pan, cut smaller cubes of Potatoes, it helps in cooking potatoes faster.
- Follow steps from Pressure cooker method until step 4.
- Add less than half cup of water, to ensure dry masalas are not burnt. Cover with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes on Medium Flame, while stirring in between or until potatoes are cooked.
- Finally Garnish with Fresh coriander leaves (optional step) and serve with Roti or Rice.
How to Make Gawar phali aloo ki sabzi | gawar phali ki sabzi | Guvar nu Shaak with detailed step by step recipe photo?
1. To make Gawar phali ki sukhi sabzi, clean and wash Gawar phali. Unlike french beans, cluster beans take a long time to cook so they are steamed or pressure cooked but with this recipe we have cooked it in a pan so choose tender cluster beans as the mature one’s are hard. Chop them into 1″ pieces. Further, heat the oil in a pressure cooker or broad non-stick pan and add chopped garlic pods.
2. When the garlic turns light brown, add cluster beans (gawar phali) and potatoes (aloo), mix well and saute for 1-2 minutes.
3. After this, add dry masalas like turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
4. Once dry masalas are cooked well, add Tomatoes followed by salt and and mix well for 3-4 minutes or until oil separates.
5. Now add Gujarati Garlic Chutney with water and mix well.
6. Water quantity should be just to cover potatoes and gawar phali like below.
7. Pressure cook on high for 1 or 2 whistles and switch of the flame.
8. Your Gawar phali aur aloo ki Sabzi is ready. Do not ever over cook Gawar phali or else they will turn flavourless. Finally, garnish with Fresh coriander leaves (Optional step). Serve with Roti or Rice.