Making your own five spice powder blend allows you to adopt this famous seasoning to your own tastes, and have always access to use in a variety of Chinese recipes!
- 6 whole star anise
- 1 Tbsp whole Szechuan peppercorn
- 1 Tbsp whole fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 sticks cinnamon, broken into small pieces
- 15 whole cloves
- Gather your Five Spice (cinnamon, fennel seeds, Sichuan peppercorns, cloves and star anise). Take any of the whole spices you have and toast them in a dry pan over low heat until fragrant.
- Once cooled, place Five spices in a grinder (can also use spice grinder, coffee grinder, or food processor) and pulse until fine.
- Store in an air-tight container.
- We found that 1.5 Tbsp of Chinese Five Spice powder is perfect for seasoning of 4 servings fried rice (if you like spicy taste).
- Category: Seasonings
- Method: Grinder
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: chinese five spice powder, five spice powder