Kadai Paneer is a spicy gravy recipe that uses a lot of spices to give it a robust bold flavor. In this dish, cubed capsicum, onions and deeseded tomato cubes are added in the tomato onion gravy along with paneer cubes. To give it an unique flavour, a special Kadai Masala consists of coriander seeds and dry red chillies are dry roasted and then powdered. This freshly ground powder is added in the curry along with Kashmiri red chilli powder and garam masala powder to give it a distinct flavour.
- 4 Kashmiri dried red chillies
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp Coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp Black peppercorns
- 200 grams Cottage Cheese (paneer)
- 2–3 tbsp oil
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 inch ginger, cut into juliennes
- 1/2 medium onion, cut into cubes
- 1/2 medium green capsicum, cut into cubes
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
How to make Kadai Powder?
- Dry roast 2 red chillies, fennel seeds, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 2 tbsp coriander seeds, peppercorns till fragrant.
- Cool and grind into a coarse powder.
How to make Kadai Paneer?
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add remaining cumin seeds and red chillies and saute till seeds crackle.
- Add remaining coriander seeds, tomatoes, mix and saute for 5-6 minutes or thill tomatoes are pulpy.
- Cut cottage cheese into cubes.
- Add 1 tbsp kadai powder and mix well. Add onion cubes and capsicum cubes.
- Cut tomato into cubes and add. Mix well and add cottage cheese cubes. Toss to mix and cook for a minute.
- Add garam masala powder, toss to mix and cook for 1/2 a minute. Add dried fenugreek leaves and toss to mix.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp kadai powder on top and serve hot.
- Kadai Masala can be stored in air tight container for approximately 45 days. After this, the fragrance will start decreasing.
- Prefer freshly ground Kadai masala.
- Category: Punjabi
- Method: Stir Fry
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 10.89
- Sodium: 785
- Fat: 12.37
- Saturated Fat: 2.351
- Unsaturated Fat: 5.384
- Trans Fat: 0.045
- Carbohydrates: 20.15
- Fiber: 5.9
- Protein: 9.7
- Cholesterol: 0.09
Keywords: kadai paneer recipe, karai paneer, kadhai paneer, paneer recipe