This recipe is Easy, delicious, creamy & flavorful restaurant style dum aloo recipe made of spicy onion, tomatoes, yogurt gravy. I personally call it as Punjabi aloo dum.
Potatoes, whether mashed, baked, fried or roasted, are often essential comfort food in most cuisines. Potatoes are believed to have been domesticated around 7,000 -10,000 years ago near modern day Peru, South America. Today, nearly a third of the world’s production is harvested in India.
So how did the Potato reach India? The Portuguese introduced potatoes to india (they called it ‘Batata’) in the early seventeenth century when they cultivated it along the western coast of India. The British traders introduced potatoes in Bengal as a root crop, ‘Alu’. By the end of eighteenth century, it was cultivated across the northern hilly areas of India. And so this amazing ingredient was born in India and dishes made of potatoes spread to each and every corner of the country.
One such dish is the Dum Aloo, which has numerous variations in our country. This dish is prepared differently in each corner of India, according to taste, spices and cooking styles of the region. I have another version of this recipe which is Jain versiona and I call it as Bhojpuri Dum Aloo recipe.
Dum Aloo Recipe | Punjabi Dum Aloo Recipe | Dhaba Style Dum Aloo
For Dum Aloo
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 20 Boiled Baby Potatoes
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 0.5 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1.5 cup chopped onions
- 3 slitted green chillies
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 4 medium sized chopped Tomatoes
- 0.5 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 0.5 cup curd
- 1 tsp Roasted Dry Fenugreek Leaves
- 2 tsp or to taste Salt
Whole Garam Masala
- 1 Cinamon stick
- 1 Black Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 4 to 5 Black Pepper
- 1 Bay leaf
- For Granish
- Coriander leaves
- Take boiled baby potatoes, peel the potatoes, prick these so that they absorb spices well.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan, then add the potatoes. Add spices such as red chili powder and salt. Mix all.
- Fry well until potatoes are brown from all sides, Stir at regular intervals. Take out.
- Add oil in a pan, add cumin seeds. Reduce flame to prevent from browning. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, black pepper and bay leaf. Peel and add Black cardamom. Roast them.
- Add chopped onions and slitted green chillies.
- Once onions are transluescent add Ginger garlic paste and fry until onion turns light brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes followed by some salt (salt helps tomatoes cook well).
- After 5 minutes, add Turmeric powder (add some water if gravy is too dry, so masalas will not burn), red chilli powder, coriander and cumin powder followed by Garam masala powder.
- Add curd after 8 mins, stir and roast the masala till it is grainy and till oil separates.
- Add some water to adjust consistency of gravy and once gravy boils add baby potatoes and finally adjust salt as per your taste.
- Stir them. Cover and cook it on low flame for 4 to 5 minutes. Add roasted fenugreek leaves.
- Sumptuous Dum Aloo is ready, garnish with some green coriander. It can be served with chapati, parantha, naan or rice.