This recipe is quick and easy recipe when you are running out of vegetables in your fridge. Every state in Gujarat has unique Dhokli Nu Shaak recipe and since I am coming from Kathiyawad region of Gujarat no wonder this recipe is Kathiyawadi version of famous Gujarati Dhokli Nu Shaak recipe.
If you are one of my Non-Indian blog reader and wondering what is this recipe about, then here goes English description of famous Kathiyawadi Gujarati Dhokli Nu Shaak recipe. Steamed chickpea batter cake cooked in buttermilk with garlic and other indian spices. Dhokli nu shaak is a popular dish from Gujarat (Westeran India) and is a must have curry in almost all traditional Gujarati restaurants across the world.
Today I am sharing this recipe with you since whole world is currently affected with COVID19 virus and complete world is in Lockdown. Me along with my family spends time playing, watching movie, etc. lockdown in house. However, I also realized that many like me would be running out of vegetable stock in refrigerators. In this situation, saving vegetables is a must since we never know when can we step out of our houses.
So, here goes Kathiyawadi recipe version of famous Gujarati Dhokli Nu Shaak.
Dhokli nu shaak, Steamed gram flour batter cake cooked in buttermilk with garlic and other indian spices. This is a popular dish from Gujarat (Westeran India) and is a must have curry in almost all traditional Gujarati restaurants across the world.
- Boil 1.5 cup of water in a pan. Add chopped garlic, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander cumin powder, salt and baking soda to this.
- Once water boils, add gram flour to it and stir it with Rolling pin (do not use spatula or any other ladle since this will not give you the desired texture of dhokli).
- Cover and cook gram flour mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Now, prepare a flat surface by applying some oil. In the meantime, once the gram flour mixture is cooked, add oil and give it a stir once again.
- Bring this mixture to the prepared surface and shape it with your hands with a thickness of approximately 0.5 inches. (Do apply some oil on your hands before shaping the dough, otherwise dough will stick to your hands).
- Once the dough mixture is cool, cut it into 1×1 inch pieces.
- In a pan, add 4 tbsp oil and to it add crushed garlic, chilli powder, kashmiri red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander cumin powder. Once the raw smell of spices are gone, add buttermilk to it. Cover and cook until oil separates.
- Add dhokli to this gravy and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander, serve hot with Roti or rice.
- Category: Curry
- Method: Slow cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 9.9
- Sodium: 1422
- Fat: 20.1
- Saturated Fat: 3.2
- Carbohydrates: 24.3
- Fiber: 3.1
- Protein: 10.9
- Cholesterol: 0.6
Keywords: kathiyawadi, kathiyawadi dhokli, dhokli, gujarati dhokli, dhokli nu shaak, gujarati recipe, indian recipe, kathiyawadi dhokli nu shaak