“Makai” or “Sweetcorn” is is loaded with lutein and zeaxanthin, two phytochemicals that promote healthy vision. Besides helping with weight loss, the insoluble fiber in corn feeds good bacteria in your gut, which aids in digestion and helps keep you regular. Now that is too much of science for a humble and tasty ingredient. Recently I have been to one Gujarati restaurant in Ahmedabad and got a chance to have this wonderful tasty dish “Makai ki Kadhi” or “Sweetcorn Kadhi”. I still remember the superb taste of the sweetcorn blended with coconut. All of us have had roasted corn on charcoal which is served with sprinkled mixture of salt and chilly powder and a dash of lemon. I would eat this on during winters and monsoon season.
Today is yet another Sunday and my family wanted me to make them same Makai kadhi or Corn on the cob in a yogurt soup with coconut which we had it in Ahmedabad. Makai kadhi or Corn on the cob in a yogurt soup with coconut dish can be eaten on it’s own as a Shorba (a kind of a starter) or as a main course where you can serve it with rice and chapatis. I changed this recipe as a low calorie recipe by not adding the sugar and using clarified butter (Ghee) instead of oil.
Servings: 4 servings
Calories per serving: 95
This “Makai ki Kadhi” or “Sweetcorn Kadhi” is a low calorie recipe which can be served as a appetizer or with rice or chapathi
- 4 cups Thick Buttermilk (छाछ)
- 2 cups fresh corn (मकई के दाने)
- 4 tbsp roasted desiccated coconut (किसा हुआ भुना नारियल)
- 4 piece cloves of garlic (लहसुन)
- 2 medium onions (प्याज)
- 3 tsp clarified butter (घी)
- 1 inch ginger piece (अदरक)
- 2-3 chopped green chillies (हरी मिर्च)
- 3 tbsp gram flour (बेसन)
- Salt to taste (नमक)
- 2 tsp clarified butter (घी)
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (मेथी दाने)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (राय)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (जीरा)
- 8-10 curry leaves(कड़ी पत्ते)
- 1 dry red chilly (सुखी लाल मिर्च)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (हिंग)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (हल्दी पाउडर)
- Coriander leaves (धनीया)
- Grind ginger and green chillies to a paste.
- Whisk thick buttermilk with besan.
- Heat ghee in a saucepan and saute sliced onions, garlic, green chilli ginger paste and dessiccated coconut.
- Add Sweet corn kernels once onion becomes light brown.
- Add salt as per taste. Mix everything together.
- Add whisked buttermilk mixture to sauted mixture in sauce pan.
- For Tempering
- Heat the ghee in pan, add fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and dried red chillies.
- Once mustard seeds start spluttering, add hing (asafoetida) and turmeric powder
- Pour the tempering over the kadhi and mix well.
- Bring it to boil
- Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves.