by Arpit, Published: June 25, 2016
Vaghareli Rotli is one such recipe which almost every Gujarati Family in this world will be cooking often in the kitchen. Different region of Gujarat have different versions of this recipe. However, today I am going to share with you a recipe which I love it from childhood. My mom used to cook this for me when I am back from school and now my wife learned from her.
Ever thought what would you do if chapatis (Indian Bread) are left out during lunch? Worry Not, you have a solution, Gujarati Vaghareli Rotli. Cook this for dinner and you are ready with altogether a new dish.
Many of my friends asks me what goes well with Vaghareli Rotli? Well!!! answer is, this dish alone can be a Hero. However at times I accompany this dish with some Mixture or any food which has crunch in it. My Favourite is Lasaniya Gathiya or Sev.
Yield: Serves 4
10 chapatis, (if your chapati size is 15 cms) (चपाती / रोटली)
1 cup buttermilk (छास)
7-8 cloves chopped garlic (लहसुन)
a pinch asafoetida/hing (हिंग)
1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds (राय)
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder (हल्दी)
1 tsp Red Chilli Powder (लाल मिर्च पावडर)
3 tbsp Oil (तेल)
salt to taste (नमक)
1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander (हरा धनीया)
2. In a pan heat oil and add mustard seeds and once it splutters add asafoetida (hing) and chopped garlic. Fry it for 30 secs or until garlic turns little brown.
3. Add turmeric powder in oil.
4. Put buttermilk in pan and add chilli powder and salt as per taste.
5. Once buttermilk starts boiling add rotis (chapati) and mix well.
6. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
Chef’s Tip: If you like soggy dish then you can add little water. But remember dont put too much water else it will suppress buttermilk’s taste.