by Arpit, Published: April 26, 2015
Poriyals, also known as dry curries, have no sauce and make a perfect acoompaniment to any course. Beautifully balanced, with a subtle blending of flavours, poriyals add freshness and a wholesome goodness to any meal. The vegetables are stir-fried gently over a low heat, steamed, or boiled lightly in their natural juices so that they retain their colour and the basic aroma of the fresh vegetables. In a few poriyals, the vegetables are deep-fried, and are delightlfully crisp and spicy.
Usually, Cabbage Carrot and Peas goes well with each other. And when coconut is added to this combination, I would say it is Sone Pe Suhaaga combination.
This recipe can be prepared quickly and very hit in Lunch Box, Bachelors and Quick Dinner sections.
Yield: Serves 4
1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage (फुल गोबी)
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot (गाजर)
1/2 cup green peas (हरे मटर)
4-5 curry leaves (करी पत्ता)
small piece ginger (अदरक)
1 tsp cumin seeds (जीरा)
1/4 tsp mustard seeds (राय)
1/2 tbsp bengal gram (चना दाल)
1/2 tbsp split black gram (उड़द दाल)
2 tsp oil (तेल)
salt to taste, (नमक)
2. In a pan add oil and throw in the mustard seeds, chana dal and urad dal. Saute till the dal becomes golden brown. Keep a tap that it does not get burnt.
3. Add the finely chopped cabbage, carrot and peas to this. I used frozen peas. If using fresh peas, you can add peas and carrot first and then add cabbage in the last. This is to avoid the cabbage getting over cooked. Basically the curry should be crunchy.
5. Add salt. When the veggies are 3/4th cooked, add in the ground curry leaves and coriander leaves mixture to this. Mix well.
6. Switch off the flame. Serve the curry with rice or roti.
This curry also goes well with Tehari rice (which you can see in image, recipe will follow soon) and roti. Else plain rice and sambhar / rasam can also do wonders.
1. You can add 3-4 mint leaves while grinding.
2. Finely chopped onions can be added after tempering the mustard seeds.
3. Else 1-2 shallots (small onions) can be added while grinding.