Basket Puri / Basket Chaat is very famous instant Gujarati recipe which can be made quickly and children will love to gorge on it. In Gujarat we can purchase readymade Baskets from market and then our job is to only prepare stuffing and then we are ready to go. But the place where I stay currently does not allow me to do this. So I am forced to prepare my own Baskets so called Basket Puri before I start preparing Basket Chat.
Recipe of making Baskets are so easy and does not require more than 2 ingredients. But key art lies in rolling out baskets, stacking them on each other and then fry them. Don’t worry I have tried to click pics at each stage to show you how I did this. And someone really well said, “Practice makes man perfect.” So never give up and you will master this art in no time.
If Tart Molds are not available so easily in the place you stay, then feel free to research something on net or you can get it from my online Kitchen Accessories Shop.
Yield: Makes 12 baskets with 6.5 cm Tart mold
For Basket Puri:
3/4 cup Plain flour (Maida) (मैदा)
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (गेहु का आटा)
a pinch salt , to taste (नमक)
water , as required
For Basket Chaat:
1/2 cup boiled mixed pulses , (like Black Chana, Matki, Dry Green Peas, etc.)
1 boiled potato
1 chopped medium onion
1 tsp chaat masala
salt , to taste (नमक)
khajoor chutney , as required
green chutney , as required
curd , as required
fresh coriander , for garnishing
sev , as required
1. Make a dough with Basket Puri ingredients.
2. Roll out around 10-12 cms puri by placing them in between Plastic sheets. With this we can avoid puris sticking to our rolling pin and also texture of puri will be smooth.
3. Roll out this circles/puris as thin as possible. More thinner Puris are, more crispier tastes you will get.
4. Take a tart mold and invert it upside down. Place rolled out puri on it and gently press it so that puri takes tart shape.
5. Remove unnecessary dough from this tart and keep it aside.
6. Take another tart and repeat the procedure, once done Stack it above our first tart.
7. You can stack around 3-4 tarts at a time.
8. In a pan take Oil for frying and fry stacked puris as it is.
9. Once done remove basket puris from tart molds and they are ready for next step.
For Basket Chat:
1. Take serving plates. Place 7-10 basket puris (as per the plate size) in each plate.
2. Fill each scoop with little boiled potatoes, boiled pulses followed by onion.
3. Sprinkle salt and chat masala.
4. Add green chutney and khajur chutney (since I like it spicy, and I prepare the green chutney very spicy – so I prefer only green chutney) to taste.
5. Then top it with little yogurt. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and sev.
Add the wet ingredients just before serving, otherwise the crispness of Baskets goes off. You can always change the dry ingredients sequence, but it should be added first.