by Arpit, Published: May 04, 2014
A simple Rajasthani dish with Crispy Bhindi (okra) and Besan (gram flour).
When you are using bhindi (okra) dont wash it instead clean it with wet cloth. Otherwise bhindi (okra) will become sticky.
This dish needs a lot of patience, as we know we should never add water to bhindi curries otherwise it will become sticky. Also, bhindis (okra) will cook with its own moisture, it requires little more oil to make it crispy.
So here we go with little Gram flour, little taste of kalonji, little sour and little crispy bhindi, served with Hot Chappathis with lots of Ghee (clarified butter). Now, its Rajasthani dish so dont bother about calories. Simply enjoy this easy and authentic Rajasthani Dish, Besanwali Bhindi.
Yield: Serves 4
1/4 cup bengal gram flour (बेसन)
15-20 small ladyfingers (भींडी)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (हलदी)
1 tsp garam masala (गरम मसाला)
1 1/2 tsp fennel seeds (सौंफ)
2 tsp red chilli powder (लाल मीर्च)
1 tbsp coriander powder (धनीया पावडर)
1 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder (जीरा पावडर)
1 tsp dry mango powder (आम्चुर पावडर)
4 tbsp oil (तेल)
1/2 tsp nigela seeds (कलोंजी)
8-10 small shallots (साम्भार प्याज) or 2-3 medium sized normal onons
salt , to taste (नमक)
2. In a bowl take salt, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, roasted cumin powder, amchur, fennel seeds, red chilli powder and coriander powder and mix.
3. Fill this mixture into the slited okras (bhindi). Sprinkle the remaining mixture (if any) over the lady fingers and add a tablespoon of oil. Mix and set aside.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a kadai, add onion seeds and saute till fragrant.
5. In the next step we should add shallots but I was not having them handy so what we can do is, cut medium sized onions into four halfs and then separate each layer of onions (if available we can use onion shalltos) and saute for one minute.
6. Add gram flour to onions and saute for a couple of minutes.
7. Add stuffed lady fingers and mix.
8. Lower the heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, till the lady fingers get cooked and turn crisp. Have some patience and let bhindis cook very well. Besan and onion will also cook with bhindis to give a divine taste.
9. Garnish with coriander and Serve hot.
I love besanwali bhindi and often cook it at home. This looks yum.