by Arpit, Published: March 04, 2014
An Italian Appetizer or Snack, tastes best with Soups. My favourite accompaniment to Garlic Knots are Hot and Sour Soup. They are made for each other. I did some research and found that Garlic Knots are actually made with leftover pizza dough or the scrapes of the pizza dough in order to prevent them to be a waste. The name is due to their shape resembling a knot and as Garlic is used to flavor them.
Believe me, recipe below looks very lenghty but on an all it is very easy and does not require you to be a great bakery chef. When you serve this Garlic Knots to your guests, it will simply raise eyebrows and you will definately get a pat on your back.
Yield: Makes 8-10 medium size knots
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour (मेदा)
1 tsp active dry yeast (ईस्ट)
1/2 tbsp olive oil (ओलीव का तेल)
1/2 tsp salt (नमक)
1/2 tsp sugar (चीनी)
1/2 cup warm water (पानी)
For Garlic Coating:
3 tbsp butter (I used salted Amul butter) (मखन)
3-4 cloves garlic (लेहसुन)
2 tbsp parsley (I used Keya dry parsley) (पार्स्ले)
salt , to taste (नमक)
2. Add sugar and yeast and mix well to combine.
3. Add olive oil and mix to combine.
4. Add warm water as required and knead to soft dough. Continue to knead for 8-10 minutes.
5. Coat the dough slightly with olive oil, cover with a cling wrap and leave it in a warm spot to rise (best way would be to preheat your microwave and keep it inside) and double. This will take about an hour but you can leave it for a few hours.
6. Punch down the air from the dough and divide it into two portions.
7. Roll the strip using your hands into a snake or a rope.
8. Depending on how small or big you want the knots to be divide the strips or use the entire strip.
9. Tie a knot just like you normally tie a knot. (If dough is sticky use some all purpose flour.)
11. Place the knot on the baking sheet.
12. Make knots with the rest of the dough in the same way.
13. Place the knots spaced a little away from one another as they will rise again.
14. Brush the top of the knots with olive oil. Cover them loosely with a cling wrap and let them rise again for an hour or for several hours.
15. 30 minutes before you decide to bake them preheat the oven to 200C.
16. Place the baking tray in the oven after removing the cling wrap.
17. Bake for 12-15 minutes or till they are browned on the top.
18. While the knots are baking, mince the garlic.
19. Melt butter in a saucepan on low heat. Add the minced garlic and cook for a minute or two till the raw smell disappears.
20. Add the parsley and salt and mix to combine. Keep this aside.
21. When the knots are baked, let them cool out of the oven for a few minutes.
22. Brush with the Garlic butter mixture.
23. Enjoy Delicious Garlic Knots.