Moong dal halwa is a delicious Indian dessert which is best during winters. I tried this halwa in one marriage function and I wanted to make it at home since then.
Finally I got chance today to make this delicious dessert at home.
Origin of Moong Dal Halwa
Moong dal ka Halwa is a special dessert, with its origins tracing back to Rajasthan, mostly prepared in winters as a warm dessert. However, as per findings by food historians, the first known recipe of “Halwa” appeared in the 13th-century Arabic text, ‘Kitab al-Tabikh’ (The Book of Dishes) written by Muḥammad ibn al-Ḥasan Ibn al-Karīm.
Is Moong Dal Halwa good for Health?
Moong Dal halwa is packed with nutrition like Zinc and Protein which are good for your health. The ingredients present in this dish are also good for the skin and keeps the sking moist and fresh. The potassium and magnesium present in moong dal help in regulating blood pressure. Moong dal halwa also protects the body against the bitter cold in winter.
One of the most loved Dessert “Moong Dal halwa”
Moong Dal Halwa is one of the most loved winter desserts. In winter, the most popular dessert is Gajar ka Halwa, however, moong dal halwa cooked in desi ghee can be served as the yummiest dessert in winter season. Moong Dal halwa is also a popular dessert in Indian Celebrations and is mostly served as a Dessert in Weddings, Dussehra, Diwali and many more festivals.
Moong dal ka Halwa is a special dessert always served Warm.
Moong Dal halwa can be stored in refrigerator for 4-5 days. Microwave or Heat it on a pan before serving.
- 2 cup split yellow moong dal , (also known as green gram or golden gram) (मुंग दाल)
- 2 cup milk (दुध)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar (चीनी)
- 1 1/2 cup ghee (घी)
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder (एलाय्ची पाव्डर)
- mixed dry fruits (काजु, बादाम, पीस्ता, कीस्मीस)
- Soak moong dal overnight. Next morning grind it coarsely in a mixer-grinder.
- In a pan heat Ghee (clarified butter) and saute moong dal mixture on medium flam for minimum 15-20 minutes or until moong dal mixture turns light pink. Or until you can smell moong dal aroma.
- Now add milk (as soon as moong dal turns light pink). Add sugar and mix well.
- Saute moong dal halwa until ghee separates.
- Now add cardamom powder and dry fruits and mix well.
- Serve Moong dal halwa hot for best taste.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Soaking Time: 5 hours
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 225 cal
- Sugar: 27.5 g
- Sodium: 22 mg
- Fat: 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 5.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 32.6 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 3.3 g
- Cholesterol: 16 mg
Keywords: moong dal halwa, moong dal sheera, nanak moong dal halwa, moong dal dessert, mag ni dal no shiro