This recipe of Dum Aloo bhojpuri is inspired by Bihari food culsture. Bihar food is a mixture of Bengali and Uttar Pradesh cuisines. With the advent of Jainism and Buddhism, its followers took to a vegetarian diet, while others preferred goat, pig, deer, etc.
This recipe of Dum Aloo Bhojpuri is also having Jain variant. To make Jain Dum Aloo bhojpuri simply replace Ginger Garlic paste with Ginger Green chilli paste. This recipe is not mild, unlike other Dum Aloo recipes in which more masalas are used.
Include this recipe in your lunch menu, next time when you are in puzzle.
Dum Aloo Bhojpuri (दम अलू भोजपुरी) with Jain version
- 500 gm potatoes अलू
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric हल्दी
- oil to fry (तेल)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds जीरा
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste अदरक लेहसुन की पेस्ट
- 1 tsp red chilli powder लाल मीर्च पाव्डर
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder काली मीर्च पाव्डर
- 4 chopped tomatoes टमाटर
- 4 tbsp curd दही
- 4 tbsp melon seeds paste मगझ
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder गरम मसाला पाव्डर
- salt to taste (नमक)
- Boil water, add salt and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and boil the potatoes in it till they are tender.
- Peel immediately and keep aside to cool.
- Fry the potatoes in oil till golden brown and crisp an outer side.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, add jeera and fry till they begin to splatter.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry again, add red chilli powder, black pepper powder and chopped tomatoes and cook till the water is almost evaporated.
- Add curd and magaz paste and fry again for 2 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and mix well. Add 200 ml of water and cook for another 4-5 minutes till the gravy thickens.
- Adjust seasonings. Sprinkle garam masala, mix well.
- Serve hot with chapatti or parantha.