by Arpit, Published: December 19, 2013
In this recipe of dhebra, millet flours combines with fenugreek leaves and yogurt to yield an unusually soft, savory bread that is accented by spices, chillies and garlic. Paired with Curd or Sweet chutney or any Raita, this nutritious, flavorful Indian bread may be served as either a light one-dish meal or an afternoon snack.
Yield: Makes 6 dhebras
1 cup finely chopped, fenugreek leaves (मेथी)
1 cup black millet flour (बाजरे का आटा)
1/4 cup white millet flour (जवार का आटा)
1 tbsp bengal gram flour (बेसन)
1 tsp chilli powder (लाल मीर्च)
1/4 tsp asafoetida (हिंग)
2 tbsp curd (दही)
1 tbsp ginger green chilli paste (अदरक हरी मीर्च कि पेस्ट)
1 1/2 tsp garlic paste (लेहसुन की पेस्ट)
1 tsp sugar (चीनी)
salt , to taste (नमक)
2. Divide the dough into 6-8 equal portions. Pat a portion of the dough into a 50 mm. (2″) diameter and 1 cm thick circle in between your palms.
3. Place it on a hot tava (griddle). Pat and place 4 more such dhebras on the tava (griddle) at a time.
4. Cook these 5 dhebras on a medium flame using 1/2 tsp of oil, till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides.
5. Repeat the steps 3 and 4 to get 6-8 more dhebras in more batches.
6. Serve hot with fresh curds.