by Arpit, Published: August 21, 2012
Traditional and Quick Maharashtrian Lentil Soup combined with Fenugreek Leaves. This is a simple dal that you can prepare quickly and serve hot with steamed rice or rotis. Chopped methi leaves are cooked along with toovar dal. A tempering of garlic, jaggery, mustard seeds and asafetida subtly enhance the flavor of the methi leaves in dal. Soothing!
Yield: Serves 4
1 cup finely chopped fenugreek leaves (मेथी)
1 cup toovar dal (अरहर)
1 tsp jaggery optional (गुड)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (हलदी)
1/2 tsp chilli powder (लाल मीर्च)
salt to taste (नमक)
For the tempering
1/4 tsp asafoetida (हींग)
4 to 5 cloves garlic, crushed (लेहसून) (optional) (लेह्सून)
2 tbsp ghee (घी)/ oil (तेल)
2. Pressure cook the dal with turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water till the dal is done.
3. Whisk well, add 1/4 cup of water, jaggery and chilli powder and bring to a boil.
4. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small pan and add the asafoetida and garlic.
5. Saute till the garlic turns golden brown.
6. Add the fenugreek leaves and saute for 2 minutes.
7. Pour this tempering over the cooked dal and mix well.
8. Serve hot.