by Arpit, Published: August 30, 2012
This soup blends Spinach and Green Peas along with Mint to give you the Health punch. I prefer to have this soup along with Bread Toast in my dinner and this turns out to be the healthiest and yummiest dinner option. To give this soup more twist, Dried Parsley and Rosemary have been added (In India, this are not available fresh so we have to use Dried. We can easily get this at Super market and my personal favourite brand is KEYA).
This goes well with Bread Toast, so I personally recommend you to prepare Bread Toast with Salted Butter and then have this soup along with it.
Do let us know your experience with this soup.
Yield: Serves 5
10 cups fresh or frozen peas or petits pois (small, young green peas), divided (हरे मटर)
1 bunch Spinach (पालक)
2 tbsp Ground Black Pepper (काली मीर्च)
1/4 tsp Ground Mace (जावींत्री)
2 cloves (लौंग)
2 tsp Dried Parsley, optional (पार्स्ले)
1/2 tsp dried Rosemary, optional (रोसमेरी)
4 tbsp unsalted butter (मखन)
3-4 green onion, trimmed and sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch pices (हरा प्याज)
2 tsp fresh mint leaves, minced (पुदीना)
3 tbsp all purpose flour (मैदा)
salt to taste (नमक)
2. Drain the peas, reserving the cooking liquid in the sauceupan. Puree the peas in a food processor. Press the puree through a sieve into the reserved liquid, stirring to combine thoroughly. Cover and set aside to keep warm.
3. This step is not required if you are using Frozen Peas – Combine the remaining 2 cups of peas with the remaining 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the peas are just tender.
4. While the second batch of peas is cooking, melt the butter in a sauté pan. Add green onions (Use normal onions if Green Onions are not available), and sauté for about 2 minutes.
5. Add spinach and mint and stir together, cooking until the spinach has just wilted. Blend in the flour, and cook for about 1 minute. Blend it to Puree in Blender.
6. In another pan take Butter and add 2 cups Green Peas along with Dried Parsley and Saute for a minute.
7. Stir in the the warm soup along with the spinach mixture.
8. Season with additional salt and pepper, if necessary.
9. Pour the soup into a tureen, and garnish with diced toast, if desired.