by Arpit, Published: December 29, 2011
A simple sponge cake can form the base for a variety of luscious desserts. Plain or fancy, a basic sponge cake can be employed to produce desserts for occasions ranging from a simple family meal to a show stealing birthday cake. Whatever the recipe, a basic sponge cake has to be moist, soft and tender. A dry, crumbly, flat cake will make the dessert very unappetizing.
Baking Temperature: 180ºc (360ºf)
Yield: Makes 1 sponge cake
125 gms plain flour (मैदा)
2 tbsp cocoa powder (कोको पावडर)
1/2 tsp soda bi-carb (खाने का सोडा)
3/4 cup (200 gm) condensed milk (कंडेन्सड मील्क)
1 1/2 tsp baking powder (बेकींग पावडर)
60 ml melted butter (मखन)
1 tsp vanilla essence (वेनीला अर्क)
2. Combine the condensed milk, melted butter, vanilla essence and 75 ml. Of water and beat well.
3. Add the prepared sieved flour-cocoa soda bi carb mixture and mix gently with help of a spatula.
4. The batter should be of dropping consistency.
5. Pour the batter into a greased and dusted 175 mm. (7″) diameter tin.
6. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180ºc (360ºf) for 20 minutes or till done (every oven takes different time, so take decision based on your experience).
7. The cake is ready when it leaves the sides of the tin and is springy to touch.
8. When ready, remove from the oven and leave aside for 1 minute. Invert the tin over a rack and tap sharply to unmould the cake.
9. Keep aside to cool and use as required.