by Arpit, Published: November 10, 2011
Pineapple Basundi is yet another form of Milk Dessert which is considered as almost-evil indulgence highlighted by the tang of pineapples. Pineapple contributes not just flavour but nutrients too, as it is rich in vitamin c.
However, pineapple has digestive enzymes which can curdle the milk… so first you need to destroy these by cooking the pineapple before adding it to the milk. Ensure that you add it to chilled milk. Saffron and elaichi gives this dessert an extra yet heavenly taste.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
2 1/2 cups (500 ml.) low fat milk (दूध)
a few saffron strands soaked (केसर)1 tbsp in warm low fat milk (दूध)
1/4 tsp cardamom powder (इलाइची)
1 tbsp skim milk powder (स्कीमड दूध)
1/4 tsp cornflour mixed with 2 tbsp (कोर्न फ्लार) low fat milk (दूध)
1 cup freshly grated pineapple (पाइनेपल)
4 sachets (1gm each) sugar substitute (चीनी)
2. Add the saffron mixture, cardamom powder, skim milk powder and cornflour paste, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or till it thickens, while stirring continuously.
3. Remove from the flame and when cool, refrigerate to chill.
4. Heat a small non-stick pan, add the pineapple, sugar substitute and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Remove from the flame and when cool, refrigerate to chill. Remove 1 tbsp of pineapple aside for the garnish.
6. Combine the chilled thickened milk and chilled cooked pineapple and mix well.
7. Serve chilled garnished with pineapple.