by Arpit, Published: August 25, 2011
Khaman dhokla, Dhokra or Dhokla is a snack from Indian state of Gujarat made with a fermented batter of gram flour (chickpeas) or even instantly. This famous dish of Khaman Dhokla is sold in every street of gujarat, it is no longer restricted to Gujarat. It is readily available in every part of the country. People love these yummy dhoklas as a breakfast, snack or as a farsaan (savoury accompaniment) in the lunch or dinner menu.
We made it in a jiffy using besan, but it can also be made by soaking and grinding chana dal (chickpeas). These versatile dhoklas can be steamed in a traditional dhokla steamer or in a microwave oven.
Yield: 2 to 3 servings
1 cup besan Bengal gram flour (बेसन)
1 1/2 tbsp semolina (रवा)
3 1/2 tsp sugar (चीनी)
1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste (अदरक हरी मिर्च पेस्ट)
1/2 tsp citric acid(निँबु के फूल) or 1 tsp lemon juice (निँबु का रस)
salt to taste (नमक स्वाद अनुसार)
1 1/2 tsp fruit salt ENO (इनो)
1/4 tsp oil for greasing
1 tsp oil (तॆळ)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds (राय / सरसो)
1/2 tsp sesame seeds (तील)
2 green chillies, chopped (हरी मिर्च)
a pinch of asafoetida (हिंग)
2 to 3 curry leaves (कडी पत्ता)
For The Garnish
2 tbsp chopped coriander (धनिया)
2. Just before steaming, add the fruit salt (ENO) and add 2 tsp of water over it.
3. When the bubbles form, mix gently.
4. Pour the batter immediately into a greased 125 mm. (5") diameter thali and shake the thali clockwise to spread the batter in an even layer.
5. Steam for 12 to 15 minutes or till the dhoklas are cooked. Keep aside.
6. Heat the oil in small pan and add the mustard seeds.
7. When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds, green chillies and asafoetida, mix well and saute on a medium flame for a second, while stirring continuously.
8. Remove from the flame, add 2 tbsp of water and mix well. Pour the tempering over the dhoklas.
9. Cool slightly and cut into equal pieces.
10. Serve immediately garnished with coriander.
Soya khaman dhokla:
To convert this recipe to a Healthy recipe modify the flour used, use 3/4 cup of besan along with 1/4 cup of soya flour and follow the same procedure as given for khaman dhokla