How to Preserve Vitamins and Minerals:
– Wash vegetables before peeling or cutting to preserve the water soluble vitamins
– Peel vegetables as thinly as possible to preserve the minerals and vitamins.
Preserve Fruits and Vegetables Colours:
– Soak potatoes and eggplant after cutting, to avoid discoloration.
– To avoid browning of apples after cutting, apply a little lemon juice on the cut surface. The apples will stay and look fresh for a longer time.
– If you boil vegetables in water, do not throw the water, keep it to make gravies.
Storing Vegetables and Fruits Tips:
– Keep coriander leaves in a muslin (cheese) cloth bag in the refrigerator. They will remain fresh for a longer time.
– Remove the stems of green chilies while storing them .This will help them to stay fresh for long.
– Wrap bananas in paper before storing, and never store in fridge.
– Wrap the fruits and vegetables in newspaper before refrigerating to keep them fresh for long.
– After peeling onions cut in half and soak in water for about 10 minutes before cutting to avoid crying.
– Soak almonds in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes .The skin will peel off easily.
– Soak potatos for 10 mins in water before peeling it. It would be easier to pill skins of potatoes after this.
– Chopping vegetables can be done in different ways using a sharp knife and a wooden chopping board. Cutting on a marble slab will blunt your knives.
– Remove the outer leaves and husks from the corn (bhutta). Holding the corn upright with the flat end firmly in a board, take a sharp knife and run it down between the kernels and the cob to strip them away.
– Chopping dry fruits – Freeze them first for one hour & then dip the knife into hot water before cutting them.