This is very simple yet delicious recipe to make Stuffed Brinjal quickly. Direct from my Grandma’s Kitchen.
Bharela Ringana (Bharwa Baingan) Gujarati Style
Gujarati style stuffed Brinjal and Potato curry
- 5 to 6 Small Brinjals
- 3 to 4 Small Potatoes Optional
- 1 Tomato
- 4 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 3 tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tbsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for cooking
- Asafoetida Hing
- Fresh Coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Mix Dhania jeera powder, Lal mrich powder, Haldi, Salt and little oil.
- Take eggplants/baingan/ringan and potato.
- Peel dice and wash potato thoroughly.
- Wash eggplants and dry them. Cross Slit eggplants and potatoes length wise. Take care not to cut them all through as we intend on filling them with stuffing.
- Fill eggplants with stuffing. At this stage almost more than half stuffing should have been used for filling, leaving you with some stuffing still remaining, we shall use that while cooking.
- In a Heavy bottom Kadhai/pan add 4 tbs oil, once it starts to smoke add a pinch of asafoetida.
- Now arrange the eggplants and potatoes delicately in such a way that each one touch hot oil in the pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining stuffing on top of eggplants and potatoes.
- Now add 1 cup water slowly frm the sides of the pan. Cover the pan and cook for 20-25mins on medium heat, stirring once or twice in between.
- If the water evaporates without cooking all masala, add a little more water.
- After eggplants and potatoes are almost cooked, add chopped tomatoes.
- Adding right quantity of water, enough to cook this dish but not to make it soggy is the key.
- Turn off the heat and garnish it with freshly chopped coriander leaves/cilantro.
- Serve it with Hot Roti or Thepla or Bajra Roti or Rice.
- Cooking in Pressure Cooker: Heat oil in cooker, add pinch of asafoetedia put potatoes and eggplant. Cook it for 1 or 2 mins. Add tomatoes and water. Put remaining stuffing and pressure cook for 1 or 2 whistle.
Leave a Reply