A nutritious recipe made using instant dhokla mixture and vegetables cooked in a pan.
A quick variation of the traditional Gujarati snack, handvo.
Preparation Time : 5 mins.
Cooking Time : 9 mins.
Makes 2 rice cakes.
1 packet instant khaman dhokla mix
1/2 cup grated cabbage
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup white pumpkin (lauki)
2 teaspoons ginger-green chilli paste
4 tablespoons chopped coriander
salt to taste
For the tempering
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
1 teaspoon sesame seeds (til)
3 tablespoons oil
1. Squeeze out all the excess liquid from the cabbage, carrot and pumpkin by pressing between your palms. Keep aside.
2. Prepare the dhokla batter following the instructions on the packet.
3. Add the grated vegetables, ginger-green chilli paste, coriander and salt and mix well.
4. Heat half the oil in a 125 mm. (5″) diameter non-stick pan, add half of the cumin seeds and sesame seeds. When they crackle, pour half of the batter into the pan.
5. Reduce the flame, cover the pan and allow it to cook for 2 to 3 minutes till the bottom is golden brown.
6. Carefully upturn the rice cake onto the other side and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes.
7. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make one more vegetable rice cake.
8. Cook both the rice cakes simultaneously on two nos. 125 mm. (5″) diameter non-stick pans to speed up cooking.
9. Serve hot with green chutney.
You can use the same recipe using a packet of instant khaman dhokla mix also.